Sunday 28 April 2013

MURDERER





These are my initial face charts that I had developed over a course of a few days as my vision of my character morphed from conducting research and thinking about creating a fashion based make-up. I wanted to ensure the theme of darkness and camouflage.


TESTING








I started using a black liner to create an exaggerated cat eye crossed with a mask (representing the dark) that flicked up toward the hair line to give a playful yet sinister impression. I felt that it was too harsh, so kept the top line very clean and hard, yet blended out the bottom edge into a more slate grey colour and smokey texture.







I then added a small amount of Illamasqua's liquid metal in superior along the inside of the shape, to give more dimension rather than a flat black mask.






















I then experimented by trying to keep the intensity of the black in the centre of the shape, and blend out from both edges. I feel that if I kept applying and blending that I would get the desired effect.



On the other eye, I trialled keeping the concentration of black on the lid, and blending again outwards. I feel that this is more effective than the previous attempt, as it looks less messy (other than its intentional distressed/smokey appearance). I think I will merge the two eyes together for my final look, but block out the model's eyebrows. I like the contrast between the black and the blue of Tasha's eyes, so will try to keep this if I decide to use another model (I would prefer a model with darker hair for this character).

I quite like the effect of having two different shapes on the eyes, to add the idea of insanity of the character, however I don't feel that such a drastic difference will translate well into an editorial piece.

The idea of smoke came to me during trials, similar to the movie The Fog, carrying on the theme of not being able to see and something sinister coming out of the abyss.





No comments:

Post a Comment